We discussed in class "emotional contagion" and how emotions are a tool for promoting identification with a candidate. I thought this was very interesting because we tend not to realize or at least not acknowledge that we make decisions and act on behalf of emotions, which could in turn allow us to make very bad decisions and judgments about people.
The whole "framework" aspect of our discussion also caught my attention because it happens so frequently. I disagreed with the example used in class with the WTC and how they felt the RNC exploited the issue, because also being from NY, whenever 9/11 is mentioned, it stirs about an enormous amount of emotions within me and when it's brought up, I feel as though people acknowledge that it actually happened. In one of the videos we watched, they mentioned that 9/11 happened 7 years ago and seemed and seemed almost apathetic about it and I was almost hurt from the way in which they said it. In realizing this though, that one of my classmates who was also from NY felt that is was an exploitation whereas I totally disagreed I understood that candidates definitely play on their audience and their expectations.
Something not mentioned in class but I think is equally important is how a candidate's emotions affect us. If you contrast McCain to Obama, McCain is so indifferent in his sentiment that when he smiles it seems almost creepy and definitely forced, and it also gives signs that he doesn't seem sincere in what he's saying. Obama on the other hand, the emotion he portrays and the fervor he gives off makes whatever he says seem as though it's something he's passionate about. Although not an Obama supporter, (or McCain supporter for that matter) I'm always so amazed at his orating skills and how it gets me wound up even though I'm not one of his supporters. With this, can you imagine how heavy that plays on someone who is on the fence? Someone who isn't sure with way they're going will most likely see Obama's enthusiam and emotion as signs of someone who is concerned and who cares. At the same time though, for an avid supporter of the opponent, hearing a speech like Obama's might just annoy them and think he's exaggerating and completely artificial.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment